Columbus, IN Spring Allergies begin earlier than you might expect, with winter temperatures causing plants to pollinate as early as February in much of the US. The severity and time frame for allergy season is different across the country, and other factors can extend symptoms into early fall, but there are still some things you can do to prepare yourself for allergy season.
Avoid the Triggers
Pollen is the most common culprit for spring allergies, but there may be other substances contributing to your seasonal allergies – like grass and mold. Here are some things you can do to avoid spring allergy triggers:
- Keep a close eye on pollen and mold counts, this information is included in most weather reports during allergy season.
- Stay indoors from midday through the afternoon – this is when pollen counts are the highest. Also, stay indoors on dry, windy days.
- Wear a pollen mask to do outdoor chores.
- Do not hang laundry outside.
- Keep doors and windows of your home and vehicles closed.
- After working or playing outdoors, take a shower, wash your hair, and change clothes.
The Great Indoors
Keeping the air in your Columbus, IN home as clean as possible is also crucial to minimizing seasonal allergy symptoms. There is no cure-all for removing every allergen from the air, but here are a few things you can do to stay ahead of the curve:
- Use a dehumidifier to keep the indoor air dry.
- Clean floors with a vacuum cleaner that has a HEPA filter.
- Use air conditioning at home and in the car.
- For forced air heating or air conditioning, follow the regular maintenance schedule and use high-efficiency filters.
Allergens are practically everywhere (just in case you thought moving away would help), and many Americans have to deal with the resulting symptoms – particularly during the spring. In fact, over two-thirds of individuals who suffer from spring allergies actually have year-round symptoms. In addition to these tips, talk with your doctor to see what the best course of action is for you and your symptoms.
If you are in the Columbus, IN area and have had enough of your seasonal allergies, give us a call today at (812) 376-3071 to learn more or to make an appointment.